Advice Series #1 - How to stay motivated:Saturday, August 09, 2014
Whether it's hitting the gym, doing your homework or simply getting out of bed in the morning, theres times where we all lack motivation, and the idea of staying in bed watching back to back episodes of Gossip Girl sounds a lot more appealing then doing the thing we set out to do.
In my case, I sometimes struggle to stay motivated to keep fit and lose weight. It's something I set my mind on achieving over the summer and well...there's been some very lazy moments here and there (and a few too many chocolate eclairs...)
It's all good looking at images of the Victoria's Secret Angels and dreaming of a body like theres, but sometimes it just isn't enough.
So regardless on what you may need that extra push to go and do, I've put together some tips that may help us all!
1. Fully envisage yourself at your goal. Whether it be a weight or receiving the grade you're desperate for, imaging how great you'd feel in that moment can give you the drive you need. Picture how proud you and many others would feel when you cross the finish line. Or for me, picture those faces of the ones who doubted you, when they see you looking well, pretty darn good!
2. Set yourself smaller targets along the way. In my case, sometimes the end goal can feel so far away that it can be quite daunting and make me want to give up all together. By setting yourself smaller goals that are more achievable in the short term, it can give you a great sense of accomplishment and make it feel that little easier to reach your goal.
3. Treat yourself. After you've set yourself the smaller goals, choose a treat to go along side it. For example, after you beat your fastest running time you can buy the shoes that have been on your wish list for months. Having something to work towards can give you that extra drive and push you need. (It doesn't have to be material things, but for me they're the best kind of treats...)
4. Create a playlist of the best get up and dance songs. Whether I need to tidy my bedroom or take my dog for a walk, listening to a playlist of songs which I can't help but dance to really makes a difference. Theres nothing like booty shaking to Beyonce - Partition while changing your bed covers...
5. Remind yourself why you want to reach your goal. If it is a more serious goal, then consider writing down a list of reasons why you want to achieve it and how you may feel etc when you do. I have done this myself and it's good to look back on as a reminder on why I started and give me a burst of 'I can do this'.
6. Look back on how far you've come. Sometimes we can be so focused on where we want to be that we forget to take a step back and see how far we've come. Talking again about my personal weight loss goal, I have days where I feel like the end is so far out of reach that I forget that actually I have lost nearly 1 stone (14 lbs) since I began which is a great achievement for me and a reminder that well - we can do this guys!
I hope this may help some of you! Let me know how you feel about these Advice Series posts and a topic you might be interested in me covering!
p.s - Have a listen to Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong? Fab motivational song!